The total number selected — to what is considered by the technical community as a prestigious honor and career achivement — is limited to one-tenth of the total voting membership of the organization. An individual senior member of the IEEE who demonstrates an extraordinary record of accomplishments in any of the IEEE fields of interest — including security, healthcare, space, smart grid/energy, sustainable energy — may be named for this honor.
The three MIT Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science faculty and two members of the research staff of the MIT Lincoln Laboratory selected include:
- Qing Hu, professor of electrical engineering and head of the THz Quantum Cascade Laser Group in the Research Laboratory of Electronics at MIT, is cited by the IEEE "for contributions to terahertz (THz) quantum-cascade lasers and applications."
- Daniela Rus, professor of computer science and engineering and Associate Director of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) at MIT, is cited by the IEEE "for contributions to distributed and modular robotics."
- Madhu Sudan, the Fujitsu Professor of Computer Science and Engineering and Associate Director of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), is cited by the IEEE "for development of list-decoding algorithms for error-correcting codes and probabilistically-checkable proofs."
- Dr. Douglas A. Reynolds, Senior Staff member in MIT Lincoln Laboratory’s Information Systems Technology Group, was recognized “for contributions to Gaussian-mixture-model techniques for automatic speaker recognition.”
- Dr. Grant H. Stokes, Head of MIT Lincoln Laboratory’s Aerospace Division, was recognized “for leadership in the development and implementation of advanced space search systems."