Award for Excellence in Foreign Languages and Literatures--Given to undergraduates who achieve proficiency in a foreign language, cultural understanding and enthusiasm for foreign language learning
- Carmel Mercado '09, Coral Springs, Fla.
- Mahalia Miller '09, Stevens Point, Wis.
- Bianca Tayina Tardieu '10, Rockville, Md.
Lufthansa Prize-For excellence in German studies
- First prize: Manuel Esquivel Echeverria '10, San Jose, Costa Rica
- First prize: Mattias Flander '11, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Second prize: Katherine de Kleer '09, Los Altos, Calif.
- Second prize: Sophie Poizeau G, Antony, France
- Third prize: Jeremy Kuempel '10, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Third prize: Muriel L. Rambeloarison '11, Antananarivo, Madagascar
- Third prize: Ana-Maria Piso '10, Bucharest, Romania
- Third prize: Jovana Veselinovic '12, East Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Third prize: Cathy Wu '11, Redmond, Wash.
- Third prize: Tony (Hyun) Kim '09, Lynnwood, Wash.
- Third prize: Kesavan Yogeswaran '11, Rochester, N.Y.
- Third prize: Mahalia Miller '09, Stevens Point, Wis.
Summer Study Scholarship in Mexico--For excellence in Spanish studies
- Dorian Dargan '11, Wichita Falls, Texas
January Scholars in France--For excellence in French studies
- Koyel Bhattacharyya '09, Rockville, Md.
- Melissa Diskin '11, Newport News, Va.
- Alina Griner '10, Lexington, Mass.
- Elizabeth Leshen '10, New York, N.Y.
A version of this article appeared in MIT Tech Talk on June 3, 2009 (download PDF).