The groups formerly known as PC Service and Athena Cluster Services have joined forces under a new name, Hardware Services.
This Information Systems team offers a range of fee-based services, done on site or in their facility in Rm W20-021. Services include:
- Computer diagnosis and repair -- Athena: Repairs of cluster, departmental, and electronic classroom machines are done on site. Dell and Apple: These computers are serviced in Rm W20-021. HP laser printers: Hardware Services repairs these printers on site or in their facility, depending on the nature of the repair. The team does not service HP DeskJets.
- Upgrades -- The team gives product advice and installs memory, communications boards, hard drives and other internal options. Fees vary depending on the installation.
- ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½Service contracts -- Hardware Services sells MITCare contracts for selected Apple and Dell computers and HP printers. Call for details.
- ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½System deployment for Athena and SAP - - In addition to setting up Athena and SAP workstations, Hardware Services can recommend desktop security devices.
- ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½Disaster recovery and assessment -- After a flood or other disruptive event, Hardware Services can determine whether your system is functioning properly or needs to be repaired or replaced.
Hardware Services picks up equipment only from on-campus Institute offices. Pickups are typically scheduled for the next business day.
You must bring in personally owned equipment for repair. If a technician is available, he or she will look at it while you wait. Come in before 11am to minimize your wait.
Repair turnaround times are typically 24 to 48 hours, unless there is a wait for a part or the diagnosis is difficult (e.g., an intermittent problem).
If your computer is under warranty or a maintenance agreement, there is no charge for repair (except for certain standard exclusions specified by the warranty or maintenance agreement). Bring proof of warranty (bill of sale) for warranty service.
If your equipment is not under warranty or a maintenance agreement, Hardware Services will do repairs for the cost of parts plus labor. There is no charge for diagnosis and a repair estimate. Typically, Athena machines are under a maintenance agreement. You can pay for repairs and upgrades by MIT requisition, personal check, MasterCard or Visa.
Hardware Services is open for business Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm. They offer limited service for Athena clusters until 11pm.
Contact Hardware Services at x3-0815 or email@example.com. See the team's web page for more details.
A version of this article appeared in the September 1, 1999 issue of MIT Tech Talk (Volume 44, Number 4).