In collaboration with departments, labs, and centers (DLCs), IS&T has been thoroughly testing IE8 since its initial release by Microsoft last year and has worked on resolving compatibility issues with various internal and external sites. At this time, IS&T has found that:
- Upgrading to IE8 from IE7 works as expected, preserving user settings, bookmarks, and MIT personal certificates.
- Before obtaining a new MIT personal certificate, users will need to run the MIT Certificate Installer Tool for Internet Explorer.
- The MIT Certificate Installer Tool for Internet Explorer is also needed for ECAT and SAPweb access. Additionally, ECAT users should see the Known Issues documentation regarding a non-default selection for an IE8 security warning.
- The MIT Certificate Installer Tool is not needed for win.mit.edu domain users and they do not have to implement any of the workarounds documented for IE8.
- IE8's new features and improvements in security and usability will change how users interact with the browser.
For help with installing or using IE8, contact the IS&T Computing Help Desk at 617-253-1101 or email@example.com. You can also submit a request online.
For more information on IE8, see IS&T's Internet Explorer 8 for Windows page.