Skip to content ↓


Alfredo C. Anderson of Watertown, a senior staff member at Lincoln Laboratory (Division 8, Group 66), died on April 13 at age 62. He had been employed here since 1979. He leaves his wife, Margaret Ann Guheen. A memorial service was held on April 22 in the MIT Chapel. Donations in his memory may be made to the Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program, 729 Massachusetts Ave., Boston, MA 02118.

Francis T. Buckley, 78, a former truck driver in Physical Plant, died on Feb. 9. He retired in 1987 after working at MIT for 36 years.

Samuel D. Clark, 92, formerly a physician at MIT Medical, died on Dec. 13. He joined MIT in 1956 and retired in 1975.

Russell G. Clisbee of Malden, a custodian in Facilities, died on Feb. 10 at age 57. He had been working at MIT since 1981.

Cornelia L. Colyer, 56, an administrative assistant in the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, died on Dec. 22. She had been working at MIT since 2000.

Christine M. Cormican of Everett, 46, a Medical Department staff member, died on Feb. 9. She had been working at MIT since 1984. Cormican leaves her husband, Robert; three daughters, Erica, Ashley and Jessica; and four sisters.

Carol A. Costa of Cambridge, 53, an administrative assistant in the Research Laboratory of Electronics, died on March 10. She started working at MIT in 1985.

Philip J. Gray, 75, a former technical staff member in the Center for Space Research, died on Feb. 18. He joined MIT in 1985 and retired in 1996.

Robert L. Haefner, 71, a former grounds worker in Facilities, died on Dec. 4. He retired in 1998 after 24 years at MIT.

Richard Macrelli of Framingham, a former gardener at Endicott House, died on Jan. 2 at age 74. He retired in 1996 after working at MIT for 13 years.

Mary Maniccia, 98, a former counter worker in Dining, died on Jan. 15. She retired in 1972 after 10 years at MIT.

Alice Markunas of Cambridge, a financial administrator in the Media Lab, died on April 6 at age 75. She was one of the Media Lab's first employees, moving into the Media Lab in 1985 with a small group of faculty and research staff from the Architecture Machine Group. Markunas started working at MIT in 1979 in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. She retired in 1994.

Markunas is survived by two daughters, Sanda LaChance of Salem, N.H., and Barbara Guillemette of Windham, N.H.; a grandson and two great-grandsons. Memorial donations may be made to the American Lung Association.

James F. Nash of Newton, a former lab manager in the Gas Turbine Laboratory, died on March 9 at age 72. He began working at MIT in 1966 and retired in 1992. Survivors include his wife Theresa and eight children.

Richard O'Connell, 87, a former houseman in Housing, died on Jan. 24. He began working at MIT in 1973 and retired in 1982.

A version of this article appeared in MIT Tech Talk on May 12, 2004 (download PDF).

Related Topics

More MIT News