The Office of the Suffolk County Medical Examiner has determined that the death of MIT student Julia M. Carpenter was a suicide, caused by acute cyanide poisoning.
Ms. Carpenter of Houston, Texas, a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering, was found dead in her Random Hall dormitory room on April 30. Campus Police responded early that morning after her roommate found her on the floor of her room. Ms. Carpenter was dead when they arrived.
"This news confirms a terrible tragedy," said Kenneth Campbell, director of the News Office. "Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends in their grief."
A version of this article appeared in MIT Tech Talk on July 18, 2001.