Awards presented at the MIT Awards Convocation on May 6, 2008:
Everett Moore Baker Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Professor Heather Paxson, anthropology
- Professor Eric Hudson, physics
Earll M. Murman Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising
- Professor Ole Madsen, CEE
Bose Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Professor W. Craig Carter, materials science and engineering
Arthur C. Smith Award
- Professor Sylvia Ceyer, chemistry
Graduate Student Council Teaching Awards
- Stephanie Nicole Waterman G, School of Science, Ontario, Canada
- Professor Mehran Kardar, School of Science
- Professor Boyce Rensberger, SHASS
- Manuel Nunez Armas G, MIT Sloan School of Management, Lima, Peru
- Samar Rula Malek G, School of Engineering, Cockeysville, Md.
- Senior Lecturer George Kocur, School of Engineering
- Christian R. Schubert G, chemistry, Steisslingen, Germany
Frank E. Perkins Award
- Professor Douglass A. Lauffenburger, biological engineering
Edward L. Horton Fellowship
- GAME (Graduate Association of Mechanical Engineers)
Harold J. Pettegrove Award
- Paul Blascovich '09, Harrisburg, Pa.
MIT Woman Athlete of the Year
- Doria Holbrook '08, Yakima, Wash.
Howard W. Johnson Award
- Praveen Pamidimukkala '08, Edison, N.J.
Malcolm G. Kispert Award
- James Bartolotta '09, Littleton, Colo.
- Julia Zimmerman '09, Chicago, Ill.
D. Reid Weedon Award
- First place: Alpha Chi Omega sorority
- Special recognition: Kappa Sigma fraternity
Frederick Gardner Fassett Jr. Award
- Caroline J. Barker '08, Farmingdale, N.Y.
- Christopher A. Fematt '08, Pittsburgh, Calif.
William L. Stewart Jr. Award
- Shane W. Colton '08, N. Massapequa, N.Y.
- Martin F. Holmes '08, Machias, Maine
- Kevin McComber G, Appleton, Wis.
- Brendan McCord '08, Springfield, Va.
- Shan Wu G, Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
- Kayvan Zainabadi G, Irvine, Calif.
Louis Sudler Prize in the Arts
- YeeKwan (Anna) Lo '08, linguistics and philosophy, Hong Kong, China
Laya & Jerome Wiesner Art Award
- Choreography and Community Organization: Payal Agrawal '08, EECS, Dracut, Mass.
- Music, Dance, Writing, Design: Suelin Chen G, materials science and engineering, Sudbury, Mass.
- Architecture/Visual Arts: Sarah Dunbar G, architecture, Cambridge, Mass.
Harold & Arlene Schnitzer Prize in the Visual Arts
- First Prize: Caitlin Berrigan G, architecture, Cambridge, Mass.
- Second Prize: Mary Hale G, architecture, Bedford, Texas
- Third Prize: Sabrina Kleinenhammans G, architecture, Kevelaer, Germany
- Third Prize: Talieh Rohani G, CMS, Tehran, Iran
Ronald E. McNair Scholarship Award
- Mona Daniels '08, Phoeniz, Ariz.
- John Pope '08, Cambridge, Mass.
Patrick E. McGovern Entrepreneurship Award--Awarded to the MIT $100K team of:
- Jeffrey Sabados G, Cambridge, Mass.
- Freddy Kerrest G, Cambridge, Mass.
- Gaetan Bonhomme G, La Chabanne, France
- Douglas Bright G, Cambridge, Mass.
Irwin Sizer Award for Significant Improvement to MIT Education
- MIT Summer Research Program (MSRP) Redesign Team
John S.W. Kellett '47 Award
- Sylvain Bruni G, Largeasse, France
- Amanda Lanza '08, Melrose, Mass.
- Alice Macdonald '08, Ann Arbor, Mich.
Albert G. Hill Prize
- Monica Crespo '08, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Irene Headen '08, Raleigh, N.C.
- Evaristo Rodriguez '08, Caguas, Puerto Rico
James N. Murphy Award
- Jonathan Nolan, MIT staff, Department of Housing
- Sharon Snaggs Gendron, MIT staff, Residential Life Programs/Sloan
Priscilla King Gray Award for Public Service
- Daniel Mokrauer-Madden '08, Chicago, Ill.
Laya Wiesner Community Award
- E. Sinclair deBordenave, MIT staff, MIT Women's League
Laya Wiesner Award
- Kathryn Ingle '08, Corvallis, Ore.
- Wendi Li '08, Greenacres, Fla.
Gordon Y Billard Award
- Paul E. Gray and Priscilla King Gray, President emeritus and former First Lady of MIT
- Dick K. P. Yue, MIT staff, School of Engineering
Karl Taylor Compton Prize
- Sylvain Bruni G, Largeasse, France
- Jennifer Roberts G, Owing Mills, Md.
- Ali Wyne '08, Fredericksburg, Va.
A version of this article appeared in MIT Tech Talk on June 4, 2008 (download PDF).