The following awards were presented at the Institute Awards Convocation on May 10. See also arts-related awards announced at the convocation.
List of 2004-05 MIT awards and recognition
Key to abbreviations
William L. Stewart Jr. Awards--for contributions by an individual student or student organization to extracurricular activities and events during the preceding year
- William Fowler '05, Babson Park, Fla.
- Harel Williams '05, Great Neck, N.Y.
- MIT Panhellenic Association
- Academics, Research and Careers Committee of the Graduate Student Council
- Student Advisory Group to the Corporation Committee on the Presidency
Laya Wiesner Community Award--for a member or friend of the MIT community for conspicuously effective service that reflects Mrs. Wiesner's concerns for enhancing life at the Institute and the world
- Cristie Cowles Charles, Eastgate Parents Coordinator
Priscilla King Gray Award for Public Service--for an undergraduate exceptionally committed to public service at MIT and its surrounding communities
- John Pope '05, Philadelphia, Pa.
James N. Murphy Award--for an employee whose spirit and loyalty exemplify inspired and dedicated service, especially with regard to students
- Jennifer A. Recklet, MIT Medical
- Frederick P. Cote, Edgerton Center
Gordon Y Billard Award--for special service of outstanding merit performed for the Institute
- Sheila Kanode, assistant dean of engineering
- Alan White, senior associate dean, Sloan School of Management
Karl Taylor Compton Prizes--for achievements in citizenship and devotion to the welfare of MIT
- Eric Chemi '05, Simi Valley, Calif.
- Michael Folkert G, St. Paul, Minn.
- Sriram Krishnan G, Tiruchirappalli, India
John S.W. Kellett '47 Award--for a commitment to creating a more welcoming environment at MIT, including but not limited to improving the experience of lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgendered (LBGT) and questioning individuals
- Ajit Dash G, Mumbai, India
Edward L. Horton Fellowship Award--for fostering fellowship in the graduate student body
- B. Scott Francisco G, Mississauga, Ontario
- Nicholas Senske G, Omaha, Neb.
Arthur C. Smith Award--to a faculty member for meaningful contributions and devotion to undergraduate student life and learning at MIT
- Professor John J. Hildebidle, literature
Frank E. Perkins Award--for excellent advising for graduate students
- Professor Jerome J. Connor, CEE
Graduate Student Council Graduate Teaching Awards--for excellence in teaching a graduate-level course, given each year to one professor or teaching assistant from each school
- Assistant Professor Jacopo Buongiorno, nuclear science and engineering (School of Engineering)
- Paola Cappellaro G, nuclear engineering, Milan, Italy (School of Engineering)
- Lecturer Patricia D. Christie, Experimental Study Group (School of Science)
- Pranava Raja Goundan G, operations research, Secunderabad, India (Sloan School of Management)
- Dr. Valerie J. Pronio-Stelluto, HST faculty
- Martin Zalesak G, HST, Zlin-Kostelec, Czech Republic
Goodwin Medal--for a graduate student whose performance of teaching duties is "conspicuously effective over and above ordinary excellence"
- Michael Hinczewski G, Westbury, N.Y.
- Benjamin Vandiver G, Lexington, MA
Everett Moore Baker Memorial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Professor Catherine Drennan, chemistry
- Professor Diana Henderson, literature
Bose Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Professor Dennis Freeman, EECS
Patrick J. McGovern '59 Entrepreneurship Award--to an individual student or student team that has made a significant impact on the quality, visibility and overall spirit of entrepreneurship education and support across the Institute
Women and Minorities
Albert G. Hill Prize--for minority juniors or seniors with high academic standards and continued contributions to improving the quality of life for minorities at MIT
- Alia Burton '05, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Cecilia Henriquez '05, San Bernardino, Calif.
Laya W. Wiesner Award--for an undergraduate woman who has most enhanced MIT community life
- Rose A. Grabowski '05, Andover, Mass.
Ronald E. McNair Scholarship Award--for black undergraduates with strong academic performance and considerable contributions to the minority community
- Veronica Andrews '05, Arlington, Va.
- Jordan McRae '05, Glendale, Ariz.
- Richard-Duane Chambers '05, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
- Shauntel Poulson '05, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Nduka Enemchukwu '05, Sorrento, Fla.
- Saundra Quinlan '05, Laurelton, NY.
- Gregory Jones '05, Clinton, Md.
Association of MIT Alumnae (AMITA) Senior Academic Award--for senior women who have demonstrated academic excellence through coursework and related activities at MIT
- Emily Schwartz '05, Lawrence, Kan.
- Karola Meszaros '05, Szeged, Hungary
Fraternity, Sorority and Independent Living Groups
D. Reid Weedon Jr. '41 Alumni/ae Relations Award--to the FSILG that has promoted the greatest interaction between members and alumni
- Theta Chi
Frederick Gardiner Fassett Jr. Award--to the FSILG community undergraduate man and woman of the year
- Robin Davis '05, Ambler, Pa.
- Joshua Grochow '05, Washington, D.C.
Harold J. Pettegrove Award--for outstanding service to intramurals
- Billy Waldman '05, Stamford, Conn.
Betsy Schumacker Award--for a female undergraduate for excellence in athletic competition
- Doria Holbrook '08, Yakima, Wash.
Howard W. Johnson Award--for the male senior athlete of the year
- Ben Schmeckpeper '05, Shorewood, Wis.
Malcolm G. Kispert Award--for the male and female senior scholar-athletes of the year
- David Schannon G, San Diego, Calif.
- Regina Sullivan '05, Shoreline, Wash.
A version of this article appeared in MIT Tech Talk on June 1, 2005 (download PDF).