The School of Engineering hosted its 19th annual Infinite Mile Awards ceremony on May 22 to recognize and reward members of the school’s administrative, support, service, and research staff whose work is of the highest caliber. The awards support the Institute’s and the School of Engineering’s objectives for excellence.
Nominations are made by department heads and laboratory directors, and the awards are presented to individuals and teams who stand out due to their high level of commitment, energy, and enthusiasm. Since their inception in 2001, the Infinite Mile Awards have been presented to nearly 250 staff members.
For the quality of their contributions, the individuals who earned the Infinite Mile Award for Excellence were:
- Priyanka Chaudhuri from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering;
- Sharece Corner from the Department of Chemical Engineering;
- Eileen Demarkles from the Department of Chemical Engineering;
- Reimi Hicks from the Office of Engineering Outreach Programs;
- Magdalena Rieb from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering; and
- Faika Weche from the Office of Engineering Outreach Programs.
In addition to the Infinite Mile Awards, the School of Engineering presented an Ellen J. Mandigo Award for Outstanding Service. Established in 2009, the award recognizes staff who have demonstrated, over an extended period of time, the qualities Ellen J. Mandigo valued and possessed during her long career at MIT: intelligence, skill, hard work, and dedication to the Institute. This award is made possible by a bequest from Mandigo, a member of the MIT engineering community for nearly five decades.
The 2019 recipient was Angelita Mireles from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering.