The Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition (MBC) has recognized MIT as a breastfeeding-friendly employer for its active support of employees who want to continue breastfeeding when they return to work.
Several working mothers at MIT nominated the Institute for the MBC award. Nominators were asked to provide information on the following criteria:
- availability of a private space for employees to pump or express breast milk or nurse their babies;
- flexibility for employees to bring young babies to work with them;
- regular break times or a more flexible work schedule to facilitate pumping and nursing;
- access to an electric breast pump;
- a refrigerator for storage of expressed breast milk, and sink area for cleaning equipment; and
- information on workplace breastfeeding support services for all employees.
In awarding the designation, MBC lauded MIT for having a “great support system."
MIT will be recognized for its achievement at MBC's Breastfeeding in the Bay State 2017 conference in September.