The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has launched its free iPhone application, which gives users mobile access to the latest news about MIT research and innovation, a searchable people directory, class information and announcements, emergency updates, real-time shuttle tracking and alerts, and an interactive campus map.
“MIT helped create many of the electronic media the world uses, and it seems apt that we are amongst the first universities to create a true iPhone app, offering our community and the broader public news about MIT, as well as a range of tools to navigate the Institute,” said Jason Pontin, MIT director of communications.
“The result of a great partnership, the MIT app has been collaboratively designed and developed by MIT students and staff to extend the Institute’s mobile framework to the iPhone/iPod Touch platform,” said Marilyn T. Smith, head of Information Services and Technology, which managed the project.
Designed specifically for the iPhone, the app will allow users to:
- Read the latest news articles about MIT research, innovation, teaching and more;
- Monitor campus shuttles in real-time using a GPS tracker, and receive “push” alerts as shuttles approach specific stops;
- Search the Institute map for services, buildings and directions at MIT;
- Look up contact information for MIT students, faculty and staff via the campus directory and contact them via e-mail or phone in-app;
- Get access to Stellar, MIT's course management system. Mobile Stellar can be set to send push notifications when selected classes are updated;
- Receive real-time alerts during campus emergencies.
The app leverages the open-source MIT Mobile framework, which MIT engineers have developed over the least several years. Both the MIT Mobile Web and the MIT SMS service (BETA) continue to be available for the iPhone/iPod Touch and most other mobile phones and smartphones at m.mit.edu.
The app will evolve according to the needs of MIT’s various communities. Please send recommendations for improvement and other ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.