Dean for Undergraduate Education Daniel Hastings has announced a national search for a new director of the Office of Minority Education. Karl Reid, the former director, was recently named senior vice president of academic programs and strategic initiatives at the United Negro College Fund.
The search committee will be led by Professor Robert Redwine, professor of physics and director of the Bates Linear Accelerator Center, and is composed of the following faculty, staff, student and alumni representatives:
- Martin Culpepper, associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering;
- Claudia Espinoza, a junior in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering;
- John Essigmann, the William R. (1956) and Betsy P. Leitch Professor of Chemistry and Biological Engineering in the Department of Biological Engineering;
- Kimberly Francis '78, director of engineering for Acushnet Company;
- Margarita Ribas Groeger, director of Spanish Language Studies;
- Jarrell Johnson, a senior in the Department of Chemical Engineering;
- Sekazi Mtingwa, senior lecturer, Concourse, and faculty advisor in the Office of Minority Education;
- Kristala L. Jones Prather, the Joseph R. Mares (1924) Career Development Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering in the Department of Chemical Engineering.
Community members are encouraged to share their suggestions and thoughts on this search with committee members.